Website design is the core of creating a good user experience which will eventually help in driving more traffic, sales and other metrics. How your website is laid out for people to see with its colors, functions, font and images will just be the difference between the success or failure of your online business.
Besides from creating an attention-grabbing web design together with giving a lot of information to your brand, an effective web design can also help in the improvement of your site. Therefore, it is just necessary to understand and implement a balanced design process.
Although most e-commerce businesses want to have a successful business, however, there are still some website design myths that becomes pitfall to business owners. Here are some of them:
Myth #1 White Space Should Always Be Filled
Fact: This is always not true. You do not have to fill everything with something just to avoid that space. Open space, in fact, is a great way to separate content and allows readers to breathe.
Fact: Due to the increase of search and paid links that users often click, your homepage may not actually be seen by your customers unless they are going directly to your site. Instead of putting all your efforts to your homepage why not create a consistent design so that nothing will be left out.
Myth #3 The More Features You Have The Better For Your Site
Fact: A lot of websites these days are creating unnecessary features. If it has no use, do not put it. However, if they have a purpose, then go on with it. But you will still have to consider if these features will help in driving conversions.
Myth #4 Design Is Everything
Fact: Design is not everything nor will it cure your low traffic. Your design is not just about the colors, fonts, and graphics since it is also the experience, facilities, and function of the site. While great design can also help in conversion, but it is not everything.
Design is just one part as there are more concerns that can aid you in getting more traffic. This will include your whole team.
Myth #5 View Your Website Like How Your Users Will Do
Fact: No one will see and understand your website at the first glance like you do. Since you created it, you know the whole concept of it from the beginning. E-commerce owners always feel like, users can understand the same terminology they use, when in fact, they can’t understand it. Your website needs to communicate with its users and not the other way around.
Web Design Dos
- Create a mobile website. Do not leave this behind since you really need one and that’s it. Nowadays more people view the web with their phones than with their PCs or laptops so a lot of responsive designers are making sure that they can cater to this growing audience.
- Ask non-technical people to be your beta-tester for your apps and sites.
- Use sprites and not individual image assets.
- Have a “Rate Us” or “Write a Review” on your app.
- Accommodate different operating systems to test for different types of mobile devices.
Web Design Dont’s
- Ignore SEO. SEO is one of your priorities so never forget it.
- Forget analytics. There are a lot of tools that you can use for analytics. You can even use Google webmaster to just run it.
- Spam users.
- Have a “Rate Us” or “Write a Review” that pops up even if the user already rated the app.
Know how you can help your site by calling us now at +44 (0)203 823 9033.